|Danzantes Unidos® and its logo are registered in the U.S. Pat. and Trademark Office. Use of Danzantes Unidos® or its logo without permission from the Danzantes Unidos® de California organization will result in legal action. Danzantes Unidos is a federally recognized nonprofit organization and there is NO OTHER Danzantes Unidos Festival sanctioned by this organization.
DUF 2011 -- The Countdown Is On!
Only 12 more days until D-Day... DUF Day that is! Are you ready? The DUF 2011 Committee is busy putting final touches on all the details that will make this an extra special celebration.
Class confirmations are now being sent out by email. If you registered before the March 15 deadline and have not seen your confirmation by April 6, please contact Registration@danzantes.org. If your organization has an outstanding Purchase Order payment due, please mail it by April 5 or contact registration to ensure that you are registered.
So far, over 104 dance companies have registered for DUF 2011! The Late Registration deadline approaches at midnight on Wednesday, April 13.
We are also pleased to announce our gift to group directors of registered companies. There will be two bonus workshops for group directors (and possibly room for dancers who reserve a spot on the wait list) on Friday, April 15, from noon to 3pm. These Master Classes will be taught by Jose Tena of Las Cruces, NM, and Sergio Sartiaguin, direct from Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico. They will be teaching workshops in Chihuahua and Nayarit, respectively. If you qualify for this bonus workshop, please send a message with subject header "DUF 2011 Master Class" to Registration@danzantes.org. Dancers will be notified by email of class location and details. Please note that these classes will not be on campus.
Finally, this will be our last newsletter before the big event. We look forward to seeing you all at DUF 2011, and we wish you a safe journey to the festival!
Maria Luisa Colmenarez
President, Danzantes Unidos P.S. -- If you received this message as a "forward" from a friend or colleague, you can join the list by clicking here.
by Julio Bustos, Festival Director
DUF 2011 Lodging Update
We still have hotel blocks and rates available on the Convention & Visitors Bureau housing site for Danzantes Unidos Festival 2011. Rates and blocks will be extended until April 4, 2011.
Click here to visit the DUF lodging website.
If you have questions about the hotels, please contact Nichole Castillo, Sales Manager for Fresno/Clovis Convention & Visitors Bureau:
Phone: (559) 981-5503
Toll-free: (800) 788-0836
Fax: (559) 445-0122
by Edward Muñoz, Secretary, Danzantes Unidos de California
DUF Comes Home!
Okay, not "home," but MY home. For those who don't know me, I'm Edward Muñoz, Secretary to the DUC Board and Representative to the Central Valley. I think I am the only one at Danzantes who doesn't dance folklorico. I welcome DUF to my home. When traveling to Gardena, Whittier, and San Jose, those festivals were a blast, but when it comes to your home you know it's going to be out of this world! Maybe, just maybe, it will wake up the dead, too!
Welcome to Fresno, "the biggest little city in the U.S.A!" We have our own magazine, too. Fresno Magazine sells more copies and has more subscribers in the Central Valley than Time, Vogue, Martha Stewart, and Oprah combined!
Here are some quick "Did You Know" facts about DUF 2011 locations:
Again, welcome to Fresno! Carne asada and drinks at my house after the last showcase... just kidding. I also issue a challenge to California's big cities: If we can host DUF, why can't you?
- Clovis West High School is where the workshops will take place. It is not in Clovis, it's in Fresno. Julio Bustos, this year's Festival Director, teaches Spanish and Folklorico there. Recently Aguilas de Oro folklorico group, under the direction of Mr. Bustos, took 1st place at the regionals and 3rd place at state finals of the Principal Lip Sync competition, earning around $5000 in scholarship money.
- Roosevelt High School is the location for this year's showcases. It is home to Roosevelt School of the Arts, whose objective is to provide students with in-depth, intense education through training and experience in performing, visual, and media arts, while also offering a rigorous academic program. They have four levels of folklorico, one mariachi, and one Latin/jazz/marimba band. Mark Alatorre is the folklorico director and is also teaching at this year's festival.
by Maria Cerda
Come Raise Your Spirits at the Rainbow Ballroom
DUF 2011 brings the Pachanga to the Historic Rainbow Ballroom; a well known Fresno venue that showcases regional and international Spanish language performers such as Alejandra Guzman, Banda del Recodo, and Jenni Rivera. The building boasts a Spanish revival façade with an Art Deco marquee. The Rainbow has capacity for 2000 guests, including a sectioned-off "21 and over" area and an on-site eatery to fill your hunger.
This will be the Pachanga of the year! Bring the family, as it will be a family-oriented event.
The Rainbow Ballroom is located at 1725 Broadway Street (Old US 99) in Fresno (MAP).
Tickets are available online for $10 until April 14. Just visit www.danzantes.org/registration and click on "Sales Items Only" to bypass workshop registration. Tickets at on-site registration will be $20. There will be NO ticket sales at the door.
by Amber Valdez, Mercado Representative
DUF Mercado Update
Hello, DUF participants! Look who is going to be part of this year's Mercado:
Earrings, Jewelery, rings, bracelets
Karina's Dance Shoes
Mexican Calavera paintings by artist Mimi Ramos, skeleton crafts, skull paper mache, sugar skulls, painted strawhats & caps, shop bags, jewelry, Calaveras, skeleton dolls. If time allows,Skull face painting, Distribution center for "El Huesito" calaveraspublication, photo scenery.
Veracruz & Jalisco dresses
Flor de Mexico
New and used costume items, tote bags, drawstring bags, lanyards, costume jewelry, and hair accessories.
Please feel free to contact these vendors to place orders before the Festival.
So far, these are the vendors that have turned in their applications. I know there are several other vendors that have confirmed by email but still need to turn in their applications. Time is running out, so please turn in those applications -- we would love to have you be part of this great festival. You do not want to miss this opportunity to be surrounded by 1000+ dancers and chaperones.
We are very pleased to announce the food vendors that will be participating in our festival this year. All food vendors are being run by club organizations of the host high school. After all the dancing that you will be doing in your great workshops, you are bound to be hungry. We are going to have a wide variety of food vendors. Here is what you can look forward to:
If you have any questions about the DUF 2011 Mercado, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com or (559) 349-0723.
- Clovis West African American Student Union -- Salaam's Seafood Restaurant will be serving fish and chips, chicken tenders and fries, catfish, snapper, lemonade, and their famous iced tea. CW AASU will also be selling hot links, chips, drinks, smoothies, coffee, hot chocolate, and snacks.
- CW Mecha Club -- Jamba Juice smoothies and Subway sandwiches
- CW Hmong Club -- Grilled chicken, pork, or polish sausage, with sticky rice or steamed rice
- CW Folklorico -- Tacos and sodas
- CW Choirs -- Arizona Tea, Skittles, M&M's, and Caramel Pops
- CW Key Club -- El Taconazo Taco Truck
- Kastner Folklorico -- Pizza
DUF Ofrendas y Altares
by Cruzita Ramos, DUF Ofrendas Coordinator
In remembrance and honor of the departed folklorico teachers, directors, dancers, and their families, Danzantes Unidos Festival of California has themed this year's event "Carnaval de Muertitos." Everyone is encouraged to participate in the set-up of altares y ofrendas at Clovis West High School. It will be housed in the cafeteria, across from the amphitheater.
The tables will be set up inside the main entrance. Festival-goers are encouraged to bring the photo of their muertitos, florals, unlit candles, decor, wrapped non-spoiling edible favorites of the deceased, and inexpensive mementos. It may be as elaborate or simple as desired. This must be labeled with your name and the name of your muertito.
Set-up will take place Friday, April 15, from 3pm to 6pm and Saturday, April 16, from 7am to 8am. Strike or take-down will be Sunday, April 17, at 2:30pm.
The cafeteria is also the site for the Palm Sunday Mass, 7:45am to 8:45am on April 17.
For more information, contact Cruzita Ramos (a.k.a. Cruzenator) at (661) 345-5842 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
by Juana Saludado, Showcase Concerts Director
Who's Performing at the DUF 2011 Showcase Concerts?
We are very excited to announce that the evening Showcase Concerts will be held at the Roosevelt High School Auditorium, located at 4250 East Tulare in Fresno (MAP). Our special thanks to Maestro Mark Alatorre and Los Danzantes de Roosevelt for their assistance. Hooray!
So, who will be performing? Take a look! Here (in no particular order) is a list of the groups that will participate:
- Teocalli Juvenil, Fresno
- Rincones de Mi Tierra Juvenil, Sacramento
- Ballet Folklorico Raíces Mexicanas de Maria Valdovinos, Stockton
- Grupo Folklorico Oyohualli, Bakersfield
- Fresno City College Grupo Folklorico, Fresno
- Los Laureles, San Jose
- Las Estrellas Juvenil, San Jose
- Ixtacuauhtli de EAHS, Salinas
- Rincones de Mi Tierra, Sacramento
- Esplendor, Los Angeles
- Los Soñadores, Mission Viejo
- El Sol Dance Company, Fresno
- Ballet Folklorico Amor de Mexico & Fiesta! Grupo Folklorico,
- Ballet Folklorico Tapatio, Oceanside
- Ballet Folklorico Mexico Vivo, Redwood City
- Los Paisanos, Selma
- Escuela Teocalli, Fresno
- Ballet Folklorico Sol De Mexico, Riverside
- Los Niños Soñadores, Mission Viejo
- Paso de Oro, Whittier
- Resurreccion Mexican Folk, Los Angeles
- Ahuillizapan Grupo de Danzon, Santa Ana
- Folklor Jaguar, Chula Vista
- Las Estrellas, San Jose
- Ballet Folklorico Puro Corazon, Buena Park
- Ballet Folklorico Aztlan de CSUN, Northridge
- Los Mestizos de San Jose
- Grandeza Mexicana, Los Angeles
- Los Danzantes de Roosevelt, Fresno
- Resurreccion Infantil, Los Angeles
- Ballet Folklorico Riqueza Mexicana, Lynwood
- Los Mejicas de UCSC, Santa Cruz
- Teocalli, Fresno
- Aguilas de Oro de CWHS, Fresno
- Grandeza Dance Academy, Los Angeles
- Las Cruces Folklorico de San Jose, San Jose
- Las Maravillas de Selma, Selma
- Tierra Blanca Dance Company, Los Angeles
- Grupo Folklorico Santa Paula, Newark
- Los Guerreros de Fresno HS, Fresno
- El Sol Junior Dance Company, Fresno
- Ballet Folklorico Anahuac, Modesto
- Fiesta Danzantes de San Diego, San Diego
DUF 2011 University Meet & Greet
Are you a member of a university or college folklorico group? Would you like to meet folklorico dancers from other colleges and universities to network and exchange ideas? Well, here's an event for directors and group members of folklorico groups at institutions of higher learning, allowing you to exchange contact information and strategize for the future of your programs.
The University Meet & Greet will take place on Saturday, April 16, during lunch and at 9:30pm during the pachanga. Location and details TBA. Kindly RSVP to email@example.com to help us plan light refreshments.
DUF 2011 F.A.Q.
Videotaping is absolutely ALLOWED with the consent of the workshop instructor. Please use only hand-held cameras in the classrooms (no tripods). Tripods at the Showcase Concerts are only allowed in the back of the theater and never in the aisles or between rows of seats.
Full refunds, minus an administrative fee, are available up to one week prior to the event. 50% is deducted for cancellations the week of the event, and no refunds are given for "no shows."
Sales Only Pickup
Online sales will be held at Registration Will Call unless you have opted to avoid waiting in line and be included in your group packet. Sales items will not be mailed.
Showcase Concert Tickets
Tickets will be available at the door while supplies last. (Children 4 and under attend free.)
Pachanga tickets are available as pre-sale items only; there will be NO tickets sold at the door. Senor Citizens (55+) entrada gratis -- must show canas and ID.
DUF 2011 Snapshot of Events Which Are FREE & Open to the Public
- Friday night Fandango featuring the live music of Pa'Sumecha
- DUF 2011 Altares y Ofrendas featuring performance artists "Las Calaveras Catrinas"
- Saturday Noon Children's Showcase "Concierto de Los Niños"
- Folklorico Mercado (with vendors coming from as far as San Antonio, TX)
- DUF Media Theater -- programming lecture/demos by Director Track Maestros, running continuous films on folklorico dance
- DUF Palm Sunday Mass
- DUF 2011 Recital