My.FresnoArts.net

Local Social Network for the Arts Community in Central Valley

Tips and pointers on successfully submitting your work/artistic concept for public art installations and galleries.

I have not found any type of formal protocol on these procedures. Maybe those who have successfully submitted for and were awarded public art installations or have had success in getting their work featured in galleries - would be willing to share some helpful information on this subject.

Views: 41

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Debra for posting this discussion! This one is a long answer for me. But to get started, I recommend that you try to build up a record of exhibitions to get a gallery show or for a public art commision - these actually have two separate approaches. Of course there is the catch-22 of how do you get a show without a show. Juried art exhibitions - starting with regional shows is a way to demonstrate that someone else values your work. To get experience in actually putting up exhibitions I recommend starting at places like coffee shops or if you have or share a studio having studio shows. There are several places that specialize in unknow or emerging artists. Studio 74 has graciously done several exhibitions with the art students from City College. It is a real nice space in the Tower District.
I did talk to Studio 74 a while back and need to give her a call again. I have had some pretty good luck this year in getting into some shows, but I think the pieces I have made so far have run their course. What I really need is a bigger portfolio - now to just find the time to make some new stuff! One piece at a time, I guess. I have postponed a couple of art hop commitments to give myself some time to do just that. Will keep plugging away at it! :)
Laura,

Thank you for including me on this. I added to the discussion about pricing and gallery commisssions. It is a catch-22: not getting the job-no experience, can't get experience - no job.

I find it is the same with art, and this is why I started Studio 74. I went through the same thing many years ago when I started painting, but gave up because I liked to eat. Being a starving artist wasn't my dream.

I don't have any advice except not to give up if it is your passion. Be the squeaky wheel, thorn in the side or whatever it takes to get your work out there...or stop by and see me! I'm sure we can work something out.
Hi Diane! Yes, I need to get in contact with you again. I will leave a comment on your page.
When approaching a gallery, I have found that there are a few things that
most places expext. The first is to scout the gallery before even approaching them. You should see several exhibitions to get a feel for them and make sure your work will fit
and add to the stable of artists. It is generally considered rude to just walk in with your work and expect it to be reviewed. However it is okay to ask what the galleries policies for review
are. If they have formal procedures, you should follow them closely.
When you have selected a gallery then the next step would be to send them the requested information - usually 20 or so images on disc or slide, a short bio, reusme that concentrates on artistc experience and exhibitions, an artist statement and a letter of introduction. In your letter you shoud state why you chose their gallery and why they should exhibit your work - how it complements the group of artists they are representing and how you work woud add something new to the gallery. You should also state that you will be following up within the week to schedule an apointment. This is where you should be persistant without being pesky. If they reject your work, do not get discouraged. Instead ask for advice on where they think you should try.
From my experience, what you are doing now will lead you to where you want to be. Meeting others in the arts community, showing in juried exhibits, and giving yourself time to create are all essential. 50% of your time should be spent on marketing... it seems like a lot, but that's what it takes. I've done several "public art" pieces, none were from submissions, but from people who knew my work and commissioned me. Keep doing what you're doing and build your portfolio, network, and document what you do. Most of all, enjoy welding! (I'm a metal girl also!)
Thank you all for your responses so far - very helpful!

RSS

Support the Arts

FAC Sponsor

Advertise Here

Support the Arts!

If you are interested in having your business promoted in this community, call us at Fresno Arts Council (559) 237-9734.

© 2020   Created by Victor Ramayrat.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service