My.FresnoArts.net

Local Social Network for the Arts Community in Central Valley

I just received a GIFT from an old friend who had several used canvas which were partially painted with oils. I use acrylics.

I know that I cannot (or have been told) paint acrylics directly on top of oil as it will cause problems later. However, can I collage over the oil first somehow... then work with acrylics over that?

If so, what do you recommend. I would be happy to use the opportunity to experiment with oils but do not have any and heard they are expensive.... and I am flat broke....

So, any suggestions on how I can use acrylics with these oil painted canvas? I appreciate your help! Thanks!

Views: 39

Replies to This Discussion

christina i have a few canvas boards you can have if you want them

Christina R Martinez said:
You guys are great. This is really helpful. Thanks about using the Alcohol or white vinegar. I am sooo broke right now I couldn't even buy the solvents, so knowing I can use these basic items I already have in the house is a blessing.

Thank you for all your experience!
that would be great. Thank you! I just need to work out a way to get them. I don't have a car so I usually have to plan out when I borrow a car to go somewhere. Can you message me your number? And I will get back to you soon. :) :)
Hey Christina, I would suggest you sand the oil painting down with a fine sandpaper to get all of the bumps off, then apply 4 or 5 layers of gesso, after that sand it again. Then you're ready to roll.
I do not think it is a good idea. I have painted over paintings and regret not having done it on a clean canvas. Then the peeling starts. Polyurathane sprayed over the painting will help for awhile but the problem is the foundation so it reoccurs and spraying is required periodically.

RSS

Support the Arts

FAC Sponsor

Advertise Here

Support the Arts!

If you are interested in having your business promoted in this community, call us at Fresno Arts Council (559) 237-9734.

© 2014   Created by Victor Ramayrat.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service