My.FresnoArts.net

Local Social Network for the Arts Community in Central Valley

Invitation - Potluck Barrel Firing Party ! Date to be Announced

Ceramic Artists and Friends are all invited - date to be announced - to a Barrel Firing. I am planning on having a wood fired barrel firing pot luck party here at my home as soon as the weather turns cool and damp enough to allow me to have an outdoor fire.

I have four small barrels - dimensions are about 3 feet tall and 24 inches wide. I'd like to find a larger barrel - a 55 gallon drum or two. My husband brought a large barrel home, but it has some type of solvent in it and would have been too dangerous to fire (it might explode) My smaller barrels are already steam cleaned.

I am reading Paul Wandless book about Alternative Kilns and Firings - learning all about pit and barrel firings.

Please let me know if you have any experience in this type of firing - basically a pit fire but it gets hotter in a barrel according to the book I am reading.

And if you have any dry firewood and/or kindling set it aside to bring along.

What do you think? Sound like fun?

I'll post more details here as they develop.

Views: 18

Replies to This Discussion

What fun. We did pit firings at a friends a couple of times. The group was game to test all sorts of techniques. Maybe we can get Jim Shepard to join us. He has much experience. I drop him an e-mail. Ann
Oh Ann, that would be wonderful if Jim Shephard would join us. Is he a member of this forum? I don't know him.

All I know is what I have read. But first hand knowledge is so much better. I live in the country, so as soon as a burn ban is lifted I want to organize and set a date. I bought some clay from Laguna Clay that is supposed to be the best stuff to survive these types of firings. I guess I should make a few items to get ready to fire with that type of clay.

I am game to test too - with four barrels so far - that's four different trials. For successes, I'll plant on repeat firings.
Hi Everyone, I finally just did my first barrel firing to work out the kinks before I invite anyone here. I think it went pretty well. I'd like to invite you all to one, but the only problem is - it has to be impromptu - because I have to call the air resources board early in the morning to see if it is a burn day.

So if you are interested in coming, please email me and we can discuss it. I used Cone 10 porcelain clay and Soldate 60 for my pieces that I just fired yesterday. You can see how I fired and photos of my pieces on my two blog posts here. It's really fun. I have all the ingredients all you need to do is bring your own bisqued pieces and we can fire them here. I live in Springville.

Please let me know if you are interested by emailing me - mtnstar@ocsnet.net. We could shoot for a Saturday, if that would be good, just let me know. Here are the posts of the process and pieces I did:

http://bluestarrgallery.blogspot.com/2009/02/holy-smoke.html

http://bluestarrgallery.blogspot.com/2009/02/first-barrel-firing.html

RSS

Support the Arts

FAC Sponsor

Advertise Here

Support the Arts!

If you are interested in having your business promoted in this community, call us at Fresno Arts Council (559) 237-9734.

© 2017   Created by Victor Ramayrat.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service